Monday, March 19, 2012

Why did I choose this project?


Indian Mythology fascinates me.Whenever I get time, I reads books and articles on myths. Since childhood, my grandfather would narrate stories of Gods, goddesses and epics. I was so hooked on to myths and legends, that I once wanted to study mythology as a career. It always made me connect to the rich culture of India, whenever I read a story.

I was always found the story of Dashavatar, to be particularly the most interesting one. One God reincarnated into 10 forms mesmerized me. Today, these stories are not cherished. Our next generation are not exposed to these stories and would soon be forgotten and I feel something should be done about it.

Screen printing was introduced to me when I was a child. I would often sit to stack visiting cards at my father's screen printing workshop, when I was a child. I hear today that screen printing is a dying form of printing and will soon vanish, just as the letterpress did.

I want to make people aware of the beauty of screen printing taking illustration as a medium. I would be exploring screen printing in all its forms and making artworks which would thoroughly emphasize screen printing. The illustrations on Dashavatar would be acts as a topic to promote the art of screen printing and awareness of Indian mythology.

No comments:

Post a Comment